In 2007, National Pet Week will be observed from May 6-12. In observance of this special week, Beautify CNMI!, PAWS, and DLNR’s Dr. dela Cruz have planned numerous events intended to educate the public about the benefits of responsible pet ownership. To further these efforts, local businesses like Ace Hardware and Costco, are offering discounts on animal care items – so stock up while you can!
Beautify CNMI!, PAWS, and DLNR have planned a well-balanced week to help the community experience the benefits of responsible pet ownership.
1) May 7-11: The PAWS Education Committee will launch their education program in schools around the island. Through the program, children will learn how to responsibly take care of animals, learn about animal behavior and how to approach an animal safely, and learn how to feel compassionately for animals.
2) Monday, May 7, 2007 at 7:00 a.m., Katie Busenkell, a PAWS Board Member and the Chair of Beautify CNMI!’s Animal Welfare Committee, will be on the Harry Blalock Show. The topic of conversation will be the newly introduced Animal Protection Act, why responsible pet ownership is so important for our community, pet care tips, and events planned for National Pet Week.
3) KZMI and Beautify CNMI! recently recorded pet care tips that will be broadcasted over the radio. The tips will be played throughout the month of May in observance of National Pet Week.
Low-Cost Veterinary Clinics:
4) Tuesday, May 8th, 8:00 a.m - 11:00 a.m.: Dr. dela Cruz, from DLNR, will hold a special clinic in observance of National Pet Week at the DLNR Animal Health Center. Services that are available include: parvo vaccination for $5.00, a combo vaccination for $10.00, treatment for skin diseases, and Revolution prescriptions for $5.00. Revolution is a topical parasiticide that is applied to the skin of dogs six weeks of age or older, and is used to: prevent heartworm; kill fleas, flea eggs, ticks, and ear mite infestation, AND kills roundworms and hookworms. Revolution is also used to treat and control sarcopic mange.
What is sarcopic mange? It’s a skin mite that eats your dog’s skin, and it’s itchy! It also causes the dog’s hair to fall out. So, all those dogs you see sitting by the side of the road hairless and itching themselves raw – they have it and they need treatment by a licensed veterinarian.
Family Event – The Dog Show:
5) May 12th, 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.: The Best of the Worst Dog Show!!! The show will be held at the airport football field. Everyone is invited to participate. There is no entry fee. All those wishing to enter their dog(s) in the show must have their dog fitted with a collar and leash.
Prizes will be awarded for the dog that wins in the following categories:
- The Fattest,
- The Most Uneven Ears,
- The Shortest Legs,
- The Most Disobedient,
- The Silliest Pure Breed, and
- The Booniest (Best of Show).
Prizes include certificates for free vaccinations at DLNR’s clinic, a gift basket from Ace Hardware, a three month supply of Frontline, large bags of dog food, collars and leashes, and flea and tick shampoo.
This is not a serious event. Rather, it is intended to bring family and friends together to laugh at ourselves, and of course, the animals we love. Dogs don’t even have to know how to sit (and if they don’t, we suggest you sign them up for “Most Disobedient” category). All your dog has to do is walk a short distance in front of three celebrity judges on a leash. The dog with the most points wins the prizes - that’s it!!
Following the event, Beautify CNMI! and PAWS will do a clean up of the bomb shelters. Again, everyone and their dog(s) are invited to participate in the clean up.
If you have any questions on the events that are planned for National Pet Week, please email Katie Busenkell at email@example.com.